Part of arriving fully prepared entails bringing all the things that you need to make a great first impression. Make sure to take the following items with you to job interviews:
- Several copies of your resume. You may meet more employees that you originally expected to, says Rachel Loock, a career coach at the University of Maryland.
- Business cards. Providing a business card allows you to establish yourself as a professional.
- Portfolio/work samples. This is a must in creative fields like advertising, journalism, graphic design, architecture, or fashion.
- References. If the interview goes well, the hiring manager may ask you for them on the spot.
- Pen and notepad. Taking notes shows you’re actively listening to the interviewer and engaged in the conversation.
- Photo ID. You may need to provide identification to enter the building.